In a country where rural areas are always millions of miles behind urban areas in all forms of government investments, the following statistics can provide an insight into the living conditions in this rural municipality:
- Maternal mortality rate: 596 deaths/100,000 live births
- Health expenditure: 5.1% of GDP (ranked 139th in the world)
- Physicians’ density: 0.08 physicians/1,000 population
- Hospital bed density: 1.3 beds/1,000 population
- Improved drinking water source for rural areas: 47.3%
- Access to improved sanitation facilities: 26.8%
DIDECO International’s Health Committee leads all initiatives to identify projects aimed at addressing these issues and ensuring that the residents of the municipality enjoy healthy and long lives as they pursue their individual and communal goals.